Sunday, December 01, 2013

Thanksgiving is, wait...what? It's over?

Wow! That went fast.

First I was sick in bed and unable to move. I went to the doctor twice.

The second time I left the doctor, I was annoyed that she nearly scolded me for not following her exact instructions.

"I can't afford all of that medication!" I told her. She had a list of not less than 50 different remedies to fix my lungs.

I bought all the prescription stuff, but she still wanted me to buy the Delsym, Delsym throat lozenges and a stupid cool mist humidifier.

She finally agreed to give me a prescription for Prednisone (thank fucking God) but I had strict instructions to buy at least the Delsym, the throat lozenges and the stupid cool mist humidifier. I was also to drink at least 16 glasses of water a day. I don't know if my liter of Diet Dr. Pepper (that was hiding in my purse at the time) counted towards that number or not but I was too intimidated to ask.

I first hit Walgreens to get the Delsym and the throat lozenges. Those two items were nearly $20. I then looked at cool mist humidifiers.

They started at $40.

You have to be freaking kidding me.

I left and went to Target. Same stupid humidifiers, same stupid price. I used my "red card" and got 5% off.

I went home, set up the humidifier in my bedroom RIGHT NEXT to my bed. I had to buy the "small room" version as it was all I could afford. I figured if it was close enough to my body, it would work just fine.

Next I did a shot (with no chaser) of the most nasty ass cough syrup I've ever had in my life. I kept thinking that it looked like snot from a toddler that had a really bad cold. I think it may have tasted that way, too.

I spent the next two days in bed. I crossed items off my Thanksgiving menu trying to make it easier.

Wednesday, the kids and I went to the Gospel Rescue Mission as volunteer photographers. I have so many pictures from that event but I'm just waiting for approval before I post them.

Thanksgiving was awesome even though my mom and I had some miscommunications on the matter.

I had ideas to make a whole bunch of vegan dishes. Of course there would be a turkey, too.

Here we are:

I loved how casual we were. Kat is still in her pajamas, Casey is in sweats and I can't be totally sure, but Trent may have worn that shirt three days in a row at that point. I was also in my sweat pants.

We had (starting from the top and going down) Squash Casserole (vegan style), turkey, pear and cranberry on polenta, green bean casserole, potato/cauliflower soup (vegan style) and roasted broccoli.

That's the best I could while I was high on Delsym, throat lozenges, prednisone, etc.

The squash casserole is a family tradition that I totally tweaked to make vegan. It calls for buttermilk ranch dressing mix, cheese, mayo and an egg.

Instead, I used tofu, vegenaise, paprika, garlic, fresh parsley, green onion and a little bit of the "no cheese cheese sauce". 

My sister arrived later (see the empty place setting) and she said the she liked the tweaking of the squash casserole. She must have really liked it because she stayed and did most of the dishes with the kids. I think the kids had a great time hanging out with their Aunt. I caught this picture of Kat trying to snap her Aunt with a wet dish towel. Oh, and look in the background, Zoe the dog is trying to go for the garbage but Trent is doing something to distract her. Ahhh, good times.....

Kat in mid snap mode

The only thing we were really missing that I wanted to make were the stuffed mushrooms and fresh bread. I was just really too sick to make anything else.

There at the table is my BFF, Casey and her son, Colton. I missed the rest of my family but it was so nice to just hang out with my very good friend and her son. It was sweet and relaxing even though Casey made us go around the table to announce what we were each thankful for.

I was thankful for flush able toilets. Oh, and family and friends that eventually become family, like Casey. :)

Later we went to my parent's home for dessert.

The next day we simply stayed in bed and ate left over polenta and cauliflower soup. It was awesome.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.


Princess Judy Palmer said...

Yeah, it's over. I'm asking for a do-over since I'm sick too. My doctor is at the college, so too far away and too closed so I opted to take the cat's prenisone and medicate myself. Thusly far I've appeared to survive. Oh, and don't feel bad for the cat. He has since moved on to the great catnip garden in the sky.

Heather Binnie said...

Awww, I'm so sorry about your kitty, Judy. Hopefully he and Liberty are hangin' out.

Fifty-two pairs in 2012 said...

Love this entry. Are you feeling better?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...