Wednesday, October 23, 2013

So what the heck do you eat?

I get asked this question frequently. I don't like to talk about my eating choices but when I'm in a situation and it comes up and I tell them I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs people are always mildly curious.

What DO you eat?

Well, we eat lots of stuff. It's not Oreos or french fries like some may think but instead, it's a lot of new flavorful stuff. Oh, we do eat our share of beans, lentils and quinoa here but my pantry is now stocked with spices I never ever used before like Cardamom and Tumeric. Among the new spices, I have bottles of Tahini, Molasses and a container of Nutritional Yeast. 

Instead of cow milk, I drink almond milk. Instead of butter, we use margarine (yes, chemicals) or a nutritional yeast mix. 

Erik says that he enjoys the meals because they're very flavorful and new. I guess we had been eating chicken breast for so long that we forgot what other stuff tasted like.

My favorite new cookbook is Forks Over Knives. We've tried so many different dishes and I have to say that all of them have been delicious.

I'm going to include one of my favorite recipes below. I've been asked for the recipe and I've also been asked, "what do you do with nutritional yeast?". So, here's your answer:

No-Cheese Sauce

Makes about 2.5 cups.

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped.
3 T cashews, toasted (throw them on a baking sheet, put in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes)
1 T tahini
1 c nutritional yeast

Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order given (which I never do) and puree until smooth and creamy. All up to 1/2 cup water if necessary.

I use a hand blender and it works fine.

"Cheesy" Potato Soup

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 c vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped (I don't peel)
2 yellow squash, chopped (this is my addition. The original recipe doesn't call for it)
1 batch "No-Cheese" sauce (from above)
Salt and pepper to taste
Green onions to sprinkle on later
2 T chopped parsley to sprinkle on later
Fresh nutmeg (this is my addition, too)

Saute the onions in a large sauce pan for 10 minutes or so. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep onions from sticking. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add vegetable stock, bay leaf and potatoes. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Add the squash. Reduce the heat and cook covered for 20 minutes or so until potatoes are tender. 

Use an hand blender to whip it all up. I like to leave chunks. That sounds weird, huh? 

"I like to leave chunks"

Well, anyway. Add the No-Cheese sauce and warm it all up low heat. Serve garnished with the green onions, parsley and freshly grated nutmeg.

Ok, so there it is. It's not all my recipe. I add a few things and if you've read my other recipes, you know I don't really measure. I just add what I feel like.

and because there is no picture of the soup, I'm going to add a picture below of something. I haven't decided yet but you know...pictures are important.


Here's Kat, Trent, Erik and Sheila (the dog across the street) playing some baseball in the neighbor's driveway.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...