Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Practice, practice, practice

I've been messing around with my camera. I'm always trying to improve so I've started taking some on-line classes at Lynda.com.

I'm happy to report that so far, I pretty much knew everything they've told me, I just didn't know if it was "right". It's nice to be able to validate myself. Ha!

The class that I'm taking now is on composition. My exercise yesterday was to take some photos practicing some of the composition "rules" and take them in black and white.

I didn't go far. I stayed right in my front yard. It was interesting to discover that dead cacti make the best subjects.

I love the texture and the eerie looking quality they have, especially in black and white. Let me know what you think, please!



This is my favorite one. I love the texture and the dead "fingers" reaching out.



This is part of a pack rat's nest that sits next to my driveway. I just love the texture of the dried up prickly pear (that's the sponge looking thing on the right) and the pine cones up on the top.


Here is the same pack rat's next. I just stepped back a little.

Most of these photos I purposely underexposed. I felt it added to the dark and spooky feeling.


This one was left at a regular exposure. I like this one because it reminds me of a vulture for some reason.



This one didn't turn out quite how I wanted. I really wanted to get those dried up stripes in the pads to show up well. One thing I do like about it is how it looks so flat against the earth. It looks like it's been hammered into the ground.


My palo verde tree that sits right at the street. I did underexpose this shot.


This is my second favorite. It's basil. This one was also underexposed. I love the black leaves and the way the tiny growth in the middle looks like it's reaching out for food.

Well, at least that's the way it looks to me.

Let me know what you think, please!! I appreciate all your comments.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...