Saturday, February 02, 2013

Not for the squeamish

I've never taken a picture of Spots eating a mouse until today. However, I've always watched. Well, most if it I watch. I don't like the strike and the small struggle of the mouse as the snake wraps herself tighter and tighter around her prey.

I don't watch that part.

I find the actual consumption of the mouse fascinating. It's like the National Geographic channel is live right in my own home.

I think it's amazing how Spots can open her jaw to consume something so much larger than her whole face. The process takes several minutes and this whole time somewhere she's breathing. I think. She always takes the head first and then slurps up the tail like spaghetti.

Like I said before, it's fascinating.

The mice are retired breeders so I like to assume they've had a nice full life. I hope they've known love and warmth from their babies and I hope when they get to Heaven they say "Hi" to Liberty and then frolic around the sweet smelling grass with Snowflake, Sunshine, Dessert, Google and all the other mousies that have passed on that I knew.


I don't like this part of the snake but it has to be done. Luckily, it's only once every two weeks.

When Spots retires to baby rats is when I'm going to have a hard time. I'm hoping she can just eat jumbo mice for a very, very long time.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...