Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Heart hurts

Trent didn't go to school yesterday because I was afraid he was sick. Both kids had a fever on Sunday and I felt it better he just stay home and rest today.

He never wants to go to school when you ask him.

"How do you feel today, Trent?"

"Sick."

Yeah, he was fine. He had come bounding down the steps very early this morning, "GOOD MORNING!" he screamed.

I was still sleeping.

10 minutes later and I was making breakfast for both kids and explaining, as I do every day, why we were going to watch the news before cartoons.

Later I was pleasantly surprised when he went upstairs to get dressed after the first time I asked him to. Baby Kat followed him upstairs and when I went upstairs to see why it was taking him so long, I found him in her room. He was helping her pick out clothes. He had chosen a pair of jeans and together they both picked out a spooky Halloween shirt. It really wasn't spooky, it was just Halloween. But, when you're 5 and/or 2, I guess everything from Halloween is spooky.

He put his socks on. He put his shoes on. I was amazed. I usually have to remind him 5-6 times to put on each sock. Somehow, he finds himself distracted in between socks. It could be a piece of dust on the floor that attracts his attention from this simple duty. I found both kids on the steps, Trent with his shoes and socks on, but with another sock in his hand. What was he doing now? Oh my gosh! He was helping Baby Kat put her sock on. Her little painted toes were sticking up towards his hand that held the sock.

"Nie help me!" She was so excited. Not as much as I was.

"Thank you, Trent!", I said. "You are such a great big brother for helping your sister get dressed."

There are days like this that I almost get teary eyed. He can be so helpful, kind, and thoughtful to his sister. He'll get dressed, he'll make his bed, he'll pick up his toys, he'll flush the toilet. He'll do all these things the first time I ask him. I sometimes think I really must be doing something right.

I didn't even have to tell him to go stand by the door as I set the alarm. He did it without me even having to remind him. He even had his homework in his hands.

As we were pulling out of the driveway, I ask Trent how he was feeling.

"Not good." Was all he could say. He was suddenly a little grumpy.

"Well, why?" I asked. "Are you sick? Does your tummy hurt? Does something else hurt?"

"Yes. My heart hurts." He said matter of factly.

"Your heart hurts? Why does that hurt?"

"It happens." He paused and then said, "I don't like Baby Kat."

Ok, well we're back to normal.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

LOL. Every time I read your blog- I never fail to think, CUTE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...