Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Scraproom Renovation

I mentioned before in a post long ago, that there is an awkward space between my scraproom and the rest of the house. We want to fill in the space and have it become the rest of the house.

The space is 6 feet by 12 feet. We need a wall knocked down, a floor added, a little bit of electric, an extension of a vent and 2 doors. One door to go into the garage, the other to go into the backyard. We'll do the tiling, painting and hanging of the new lighting fixtures.

I called 4 different contractors but only had 2 return my calls. Both came out and reviewed the area we wanted enclosed.

One bid was for $3,000.

I got the other bid today.

$11,900.

How on earth can there be such a HUGE difference? Reading the description of the work, it sure looks like they both understood what we wanted. Weird.

My Dad suggested that maybe the 2nd guy doesn't want to even bother with it.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I've had the same problem with contractors Heather...I hate them, really I do. We've been trying to get bids for a bathroom remodel.
Ive had them not show up when they said they would, I've had them show up but never send me a bid, I've had way high bids and way low bids...
Why is it you never feel like your getting a fair deal with contractors?
Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's a big difference!

MarilynH said...

I have issues with contractors, too. Ugh! why, oh why, do they have to be the way they are?? I think you should use the extra space for more scraproom. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...