Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Baby Birds and Baby Kat

For the last 36 hours or so, we've been watching some birds that fell out of their nest. The other night, they had fallen out of the palm tree and rolled underneath the van in the driveway. Mama bird was mad when we got close, so we decided to leave them alone and go back inside. The birds were covered in feathers, so I was hoping they would be ok. They were a little young, but I was really hoping for the best.

The next morning, the first thing I did was check on the birds. They had rolled down to the end of the driveway and were stuck in a crack, on their backs, in the asphalt of the road. Both of them were still quite alive and trying to roll over.

At that point, since they were still alive, I put some paper towels in a box and picked each of them up with a piece of paper and set them in the box. I figured it was better than being on your back in the street.

I didn't think Mama bird would have anything to do with them after that, but she did. She watched them all day long. She'd hop in the box and feed them and scold any of us that went near the box. She was a good Mama.

Baby Kat was so concerned about these baby birds. Her catch phrase for the day was, "Baby birds ok." She told everyone about the Baby birds and how they were "ok".

This morning I checked on the birds right away. One was dead. The other one was still alive and Mama bird was scolding me for even being near. I thought I would wait a while before I removed the dead bird from the box. I went out an hour later and there was no Mama bird to scold me as I got near. I looked in the box and the 2nd bird was now dead.

I went inside and reported the news. Baby Kat was quite upset. I told her that it was ok. The baby birds were now in Heaven with Baby Jesus.

Without any hesitation or thought at all, Baby Kat replies, "BAD BABY JESUS!!! NOT NICE!"

I was a little surprised.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL... I was getting so SO sad reading that.. until her comment. THAT is too funny! OMG, don't you just love children? :)

Genevieve said...

Poor BK. I know it's tough because she doesn't understand. Her comment was amusing! Also, the whole thing about touching baby birds and then the mother won't have anything to do with them is not true. One of those many old wives tales!

Anonymous said...

From the mouth of babes!! LOL! But that was so sweet of you to rescue them and keep an eye on them! BTW, do you know what kind they were?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...